Saxony Anhalt is famous for its historic cities and buildings, but this small state can do much more. Many of the towns and Central German Lake District ("Mitteldeutschen Seenland") The lakes belonging to this group are located in Saxony-Anhalt and most of them are former mining pits that were flooded as "post-mining landscapes" and have become or are currently becoming wonderful recreational areas. It is exciting to see how long it takes until nature reclaims the former mining deserts.
If you want to understand and get to know this state, then you should walk around the ten largest lakes in Saxony-Anhalt, keep your eyes open and visit the nearby villages. Experience how nature forgives even the greatest sins of the past and recovers everything if you let it.
Join the Iron Lake Challenge Saxony-Anhalt and go around the ten largest lakes of this beautiful state. On more than 170 shore kilometers you will experience Saxony-Anhalt where it is most beautiful.
The rules for the Iron Lake Challenge "Saxony-Anhalt" are very simple. Nevertheless, we would like to clarify them again at this point:
- Melde Dich bei der Iron Lake Challenge Sachsen-Anhalt an!
- To conquer the Iron Lake Challenge Saxony-Anhalt and earn the beautiful collector's medal, you have to walk around the ten largest lakes in Saxony-Anhalt (see below) after your registration.
- Bicycles, skates, etc. are not allowed, but you are welcome to hike or run.
- Each lake must be circumnavigated "in one piece". This means that you are welcome to take breaks, but you should complete the lake within one day. Of course, you can divide the 10 lakes into different days. Do only one lake per day, because you want to enjoy this time!
- We trust you that you have really circumnavigated the lakes. However, if you want to be included in the honor roll, we need a copy of your tracking. We don't care what you use (watch, smartphone or app).
General PLEASE NOTE!
- Please note that the Road Traffic Act applies in public traffic areas and along roads and cycle paths. So move considerately.
- You circumnavigate the lakes at your own risk and at your own risk. The operator of this website assumes no liability.
- Please heed medical advice if necessary or have a medical examination before the start of the Challenge. You are responsible for your own health, equipment and condition. Breaking off a tour is not a disgrace, health always comes first!
A few rules for dealing with nature during your lake tour:
- Please take into account the local instructions for the protection of nature.
- Please do not go off the trails.
- Please do not make noise.
- Please do not collect rocks or minerals.
- Please do not collect mushrooms.
- Please do not leave trash lying around.
- Please do not feed animals.
- Please do not make an open fire.
- Please do not pick plants.
This should be obvious to all of us, but it doesn't hurt to remember it from time to time.
REGISTRATION AND SCOPE OF SERVICES
The registration for the Iron Lake Challenge Saxony-Anhalt costs you 24,- EUR.
In this entry fee is our Iron Lake Challenge “Sachsen-Anhalt” Sammlermedaille and the green marble (25mm) of the Timeless Challenge included.
However, for this you first have to go around the ten largest lakes of this beautiful state! Only then we will send you the well-deserved medal and marble! After all, you want to earn them and not get them as a gift.
With your registration fee you support my heart project of the Reforestation of one million trees worldwide!
How to register:
- Please click on the logo and you will be redirected to the registration page of our partner Digistore24
- You will now receive a registration confirmation
- Now you have to walk around the ten largest lakes in Saxony-Anhalt. Once you have completed the ten lakes, please send us an excerpt of your tracking as proof. You can also use our tool (see "honor roll" on this page)!
- After we have checked this, you will receive your well-deserved medal and marble. Easy, isn't it?
YOUR MEDAL AND YOUR MARBLE
If you have walked around the ten largest lakes in Saxony-Anhalt, then you have earned the beautiful Iron Lake Challenge "Saxony-Anhalt Edition" medal. This can be the first in your upcoming Iron Lake Challenge collection, or it can complement the ones you already have.
LIFE SCORE POINTS AND THE TIMELESS MARBLE
The Iron Lake Challenge is part of our Timeless Challenge. Therefore, you deserve (in addition to the collector's medal) the marble in green (health/sport). This will also be sent to you. The marble will have a diameter of 25mm.
THE TEN LARGEST LAKES IN SAXONY-ANHALT
Located in southern Saxony-Anhalt (Saalekreis), Geiseltalsee is the largest artificial lake in Germany and the largest lake in Saxony-Anhalt with its 19 square kilometers. It is, as with most lakes in Saxony-Anhalt, a flooded open-cast mining lake that was recultivated and is now a beautiful recreational area.
For a circumnavigation you need to walk about 25 kilometers. You will certainly find the appropriate paths very easily.
Route recommendations for circumnavigation of the Geiseltal Lake
Great Goitzsche Lake
The large Goitzsee lake is also an artificial lake created by the flooding of a former open pit mine, which has been recultivated since 2002. In the meantime, the lake has been opened for tourist use and is very popular with local residents.
For the circumnavigation of the large Goitzsee you have to cover just over 30 kilometers, but in the meantime it is worth it, because it is beautiful there!
Route recommendations for circumnavigating the large Goitzsee lake
The Muldestausee is also a flooded open pit mine with a length of about 9 kilometers and a width of two kilometers (at the widest point). However, it was already flooded in the years 1975/1976, so that one can hardly see from the outside that this lake is not of natural origin. It is located in the district of Anhalt-Bitterfeld. For the circumnavigation on foot you have to complete about 17 kilometers.
Route recommendations for circumnavigating the Mulde Reservoir:
Arendsee is one of the most popular lakes in Germany. It is the largest and deepest natural lake in Saxony-Anhalt. It is also interesting that it is located on a salt dome, which has broken away over the years by the groundwater (subrosion). On its shores you can look forward to untouched nature with a rich flora and fauna. For the circuit you have to calculate with about 10 kilometers of shore.
Route recommendations for circumnavigating the Arendsee:
The Gremminer See or Ferropolissee is also the result of a flooded open pit mine and is thus an open pit residual lake. On a peninsula, five large open-cast mining machines (excavators) can be seen from afar and are exhibited as part of the "Ferropolis Open Air Museum".
Circumnavigation of the Gremminer Lake is possible via a circular trail with a length of about 13 kilometers.
Route recommendations for circumnavigation of the Gremminer Lake:
The name comes from the former brown coal mine "Concordia". The Concordia Lake belongs to the Harz Lake District and is the largest there. Due to a landslide, only the north shore is currently open for use for water sports and swimming. The south shore remains closed. However, a circumnavigation is possible. For this you have to walk about 13 kilometers.
Route recommendations for circumnavigating Lake Concordia:
Lake Gröbern was also created from an open pit mine that was flooded. It is one of the northernmost lakes in the Central German Lake District. A few years ago, a 100,000-year-old forest elephant was found in the former Gröbern open pit mine, which can now be admired in the State Museum of Prehistory in Halle. Today, the forest elephant would have to walk about 14 kilometers to circumnavigate Lake Gröbern.
Route recommendations for circumnavigation of the lake Gröbern
The Wallendorfer See was also created as a so-called "post-mining landscape" from the former brown coal mining Merseburg East. The tourist attractions around the lake are meager, but still worth a visit to the region, because around the Wallendorfer Lake there are numerous lakes and small towns that are definitely worth a visit. A circumnavigation of the Wallendorfer Lake on foot will cost you about 12 kilometers.
Route recommendations for circumnavigation of the Wallendorf Lake
The Rappbode Dam is located in the Harz Mountains, near the famous Bodden and is a hydroelectric power plant. The Rappbode Dam is 415 meters long and with a height of 106 meters at the same time the largest dam in Germany. If you want to go around it, you have to walk about 26 kilometers! This is due to the topography of the landscape here. Don't miss the famous suspension bridge!
Route recommendations for circumnavigating the Rappbode Dam
Lake Raßnitz is located in the immediate vicinity of Lake Wallendorf, so it is ideal for a joint tour. It, too, is part of the local "post-mining landscape", created by the flooding of a former open pit mine. A circumnavigation costs you almost exactly 10 kilometers.
Route recommendations for circumnavigation of the lake Raßnitz
Iron Lake Challenge Sachsen-Anhalt Ehrentafel
Here you can quickly and easily enter your results and upload the evidence (e.g. screen copy of your tracking). We check them and approve them. Then your result is saved and appears in the honor roll.
This is how our honor board works
- Register on our site
- Lade diese Seite bitte neu (damit das System erkennt, dass Du angemeldet bist)
- Select the lake you are circumnavigating under "Summit/Lake
- Enter the distance you have covered (in meters) under "Length / Mountain height (in m)"
- Enter the required time (in minutes) under "Time needed (in min).
- Enter the date of your circumnavigation under "date"
- Now you can upload the evidence (e.g. a screenshot of your tracking) under "Upload proof (optional)"
- Now all you have to do is SAVE!
- We check your round and release it. Then you will see your result in the ranking.
- Dein Ergebnis erscheint nun in der Iron Lake Challenge Ehrentafel, aber auch in dem “Life Lake Museum“.