In addition to its beautiful cities, historical buildings and tasty dishes, the Free State of Saxony also offers an incomparable variety of lakes. The special charm of these lakes is that they mostly originate from the time of lignite mining. The pits from the open pit mining (open pit retention basins) were flooded and so huge lakes and around them wonderful recreational areas were created. During the Iron Lake Challenge Saxony you hike around historical places where many people have worked and lived, and now there is only water. Underwater are often old villages that have almost been forgotten.
Nature is unbelievably fast and so only a closer look reveals the origins from the open pit mining, because the shore areas have long since been reclaimed by native flora and fauna.
A huge lake district with a very special charm has emerged in Saxony. We are very pleased to be able to bring you closer to the special beauty of these waters, their shores and the places surrounding them with the Iron Lake Challenge Saxony.
Umrunde die zehn größten Seen Sachsens zu Fuß und lege dabei ca. 170 Kilometer zurück! Ganz egal ob im Rahmen einer gemütlichen Wanderung oder eines lockeren Ausdauerlaufes. Aber schau Dich um und genieß die Gegend, denn es lohnt sich!
The rules for the Iron Lake Challenge Saxony are very simple. Nevertheless, we would like to clarify them again at this point:
- Sign up for the Iron Lake Challenge Saxony (click on the logo below)!
- To conquer this challenge and get the beautiful collector's medal "Saxonia Edition” zu verdienen, musst Du nach Deiner Anmeldung die zehn größten Seen des Freistaates Sachsen zu Fuß umrunden.
- Bicycles, skates, etc. are not allowed, but you are welcome to hike or run.
- Each lake must be circumnavigated "in one piece". This means that you are welcome to take breaks, but you should complete the lake within one day, unless there is a special regulation. Of course you can divide the 10 lakes into different days. Do only one lake per day, because you want to enjoy this time!
- You have as long as you want for the ten lakes. You don't have to go around them within a year. You should enjoy and not rush!
- We trust you that you have really circumnavigated the lakes. However, if you want to be included in the time ranking, we need a copy of your tracking. We don't care what you use (watch, smartphone or app).
General PLEASE NOTE!
- Please note that the Road Traffic Act applies in public traffic areas and along roads and cycle paths. So move considerately.
- You circumnavigate the lakes at your own risk and at your own risk. The operator of this website assumes no liability.
- Please heed medical advice if necessary or have a medical examination before the start of the Challenge. You are responsible for your own health, equipment and condition. Breaking off a tour is not a disgrace, health always comes first!
A few rules for dealing with nature during your lake tour:
- Please take into account the local instructions for the protection of nature.
- Please do not go off the trails.
- Please do not make noise.
- Please do not collect rocks or minerals.
- Please do not collect mushrooms.
- Please do not leave trash lying around.
- Please do not feed animals.
- Please do not make an open fire.
- Please do not pick plants.
This should be obvious to all of us, but it doesn't hurt to remember it from time to time.
REGISTRATION AND SCOPE OF SERVICES
The registration for the Iron Lake Challenge Saxony costs you 24,- EUR.
In this entry fee is our Iron Lake Challenge "Saxony" collector medal and the green marble (25mm) of the Timeless Challenge included.
However, for this you first have to go around the ten largest lakes in Saxony! Only then we will send you the well-deserved medal and marble! After all, you want to earn them and not get them as a gift.
With your registration fee you support my heart project of the Reforestation of one million trees worldwide!
How to register:
- Please click on the Logo and you will be redirected to the registration page of our partner Digistore24
- You will now receive a registration confirmation
- Now you have to walk around the ten largest lakes in Saxony. As soon as you have completed them, please send us an excerpt of your tracking as proof.
- After we have checked this, you will receive your well-deserved medal and marble. Easy, isn't it?
YOUR MEDAL AND YOUR MARBLE
If you have walked around the ten largest lakes in Saxony, then you have earned the beautiful Iron Lake Challenge in the edition "Saxonia" medal. This can be the first in your upcoming Iron Lake Challenge collection or complement your existing one.
LIFE SCORE POINTS AND THE TIMELESS MARBLE
The Iron Lake Challenge is part of our Timeless Challenge. Therefore, you deserve (in addition to the collector's medal) the marble in green (health/sport). This will also be sent to you. The marble will have a diameter of 25mm.
The ten largest lakes in Saxony
In Saxony, it is not so easy to find the ten largest lakes, because supposed Saxon "top ten lakes" such as the Großer Golitzschesee lies to a large extent in Saxony-Anhalt, which also applies to the Seelhauser See. Other large lakes are partly located in Saxony and Brandenburg. Lake Peres is planned but not yet completely flooded, the Lohsa II reservoir is sometimes really big, a few weeks later it is almost completely drained. As you can see, the selection was not easy. But we have consistently researched and found out for you the ten largest, purely Saxon lakes.
Most of Saxony's large lakes were created as open-cast mining lakes or from reservoirs. We have chosen the following, ten largest lakes in Saxony, and they all have their own charm and appeal and invite you to explore their shore areas and the wonderful, adjacent places. They are very special because they were all artificially created by man and here you can see how nature reclaims everything.
Lake Bärwalde is the largest lake in Saxony and the third largest lake in the Lusatian Lakeland. The lake itself was formed from the residual hole of the Bärwalde open pit mine. It was flooded in 1997. The resulting reservoir is mainly fed by the Spree River. To go around the Bärwalder See you have to cover about 20 kilometers.
Suggestions for tours around the lake Bärwalder See:
Lake Zwenkau is located about 10 kilometers south of Leipzig and is part of the Leipzig Neuseenland. As the name implies, it is also an artificial lake created from a former open-cast mining hole, which is now beautiful to look at and has become a valuable recreational area.
You have to reckon with about 22 kilometers to go around Lake Zwenkau, but going around on foot is wonderful, because there is a real circular route and a lot to see.
Tour recommendation to circumnavigate Lake Zwenkau:
The Berzdorfer See, located south of Görlitz, was also created by flooding a residual hole from open-cast lignite mining between the year 2002 and 2013. Nature has already reclaimed much of this lake as well, making it greener and more beautiful from year to year.
For a circumnavigation you have to walk about 17 kilometers (depending on the tour).
Suggestions for tours around the lake Berzdorfer See:
Lake Störmthal, which is located south of Leipzig, is also a flooded open pit mine. It used to be the site of the Espenhain open-pit lignite mine. It has been completely flooded since 2012 and since then nature has successfully reclaimed the area. By the way, the mining technology park located right next to the lake is an interesting excursion destination. By the way, the circular route around Lake Störmthal is about 23.5km long (depending on the route used).
Suggestions for tours around the lake Störmthaler See
The Quitzdorf Dam is the largest dam in Saxony and is managed in conjunction with the Bautzen Dam. The nature of the Quitzdorf dam is untouched and especially anglers appreciate this lake for its abundance of fish. The Quitzdorf Landscape Protection Area has been proclaimed around it. A circumnavigation challenges you on about 21 kilometers.
Suggestions for tours around the dam Quitzdorf
Lake Scheibe (also called Speicher Scheibe), located in the east of Hoyerswerda, is also a flooded open-cast mining residual hole. The western shore is particularly popular, as locals like to swim at the developed beach section there. A circumnavigation of Scheibe Lake is about 13 kilometers long.
Suggestions for tours around the lake Scheibe
The Borna reservoir (Wasserspeicher Borna) is also a flooded former stockpile, but was flooded in 1980 and has thus been completely reclaimed by nature. Located in the district of Leipzig, the lake today covers the former villages of Blumroda, Hartmannsdorf, Görnitz and Altdeutzen. For a circumnavigation of the reservoir Borna have to reckon with about 14 kilometers, because it is not always possible to walk exactly on the shore paths.
Suggested tours around the reservoir Borna
The Bautzen Dam is located in the Upper Lusatia region of Saxony and is fed by the Spree River. The dam is mainly used for the permanent water supply of the Boxberg power plant, but in the meantime it is used as a recreational and fishing water. For a circumnavigation of the Bautzen dam you have to reckon with about 13 kilometers.
Suggestions for tours around the dam Bautzen
Lake Werbelin was also created by flooding the Delitzsch-Südwest open pit mine on the territory of the former village of Werbelin. Thus, it also belongs to the opencast mining lakes. A circumnavigation here is 11.5km long and has its own charm.
Suggestions for tours around the lake Werbelin
Burghammer Reservoir (Bernstein Lake)
The Burghammer reservoir is also called Lake Bernstein by the locals. It is located in Upper Lusatia near Hoyerswerda and this lake is also an artificially flooded open-cast mine residual hole. The inflow comes from Lohsa II, the water drains into the Kleine Spree. If you want to go around the Burghammer reservoir, you have to calculate with about 12 kilometers.
Suggestions for tours around the lake Bernstein:
Die IRON LAKE CHALLENGE in Social Media
HASHTAGS OF THE IRON LAKE CHALLENGE
We would be happy if you share pictures, videos and your experiences around the Iron Lake Challenge with others. For this purpose we provide you with the following hashtags:
Die IRON LAKE CHALLENGE auf Facebook
Of course we also invite you to join our Facebook group "Iron Lake Challenge Discussion Board".
IRON LAKE CHALLENGE SACHSEN EHRENTAFEL
Here you can quickly and easily enter your results and upload the evidence (e.g. screen copy of your tracking). We check them and approve them. Then your result is saved and appears in the honor roll.
This is how our honor board works
- Register on our site
- Select the lake you are circumnavigating under "Summit/Lake
- Enter the distance you have covered (in meters) under "Length / Mountain height (in m)"
- Enter the required time (in minutes) under "Time needed (in min).
- Enter the date of your circumnavigation under "date"
- Now you can upload the evidence (e.g. a screenshot of your tracking) under "Upload proof (optional)"
- Now all you have to do is SAVE!
- We check your round and release it. Then you will see your result in the ranking.
Iron Lake Challenge Shop
|We have taken the liberty of presenting a few products related to the Iron Lake Challenge in our Shop anzubieten und hoffen, sie gefallen Dir!